Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Mozambique Continued

Hey all,
My internet access has been as inconsistent as the quality of roadside bananas here, so excuse my tardiness. Since I last checked in I have been making the tedious journey northward and have spent time with some analysts of the massive Cahorra Bassa Dam and checked out some cool distribution of electicity, I have made my way to the coast and swam with Whale Sharks (Google it, they are huge and amazing). I have met up with an old friend from Richmond and a geologist and now we are moving up the coast even farther north to Mozambique Island where we will spend a relalxing two days before I head inland by train to Malawi.

All is well, I will update mroe when I have better internet, but let me briefly describe the first leg of my journey northward: I was wedged between two arm-heavy african Mamisetas (code for sweet fat ladies), a goat and piles of luggage in the back of a bus for 8 hours while playing backgammon with a little kid who kept trying to bite me if I beat him. Then our back two tires blew out and we had to wait for a new bus, which we switched over to. Then another tire blew out, which we managed to replace (including all the men lifting a schoolbus together and almost flipping it). Finally we reached Beira, from inhambane and I met up with my buddy, Lager who took me around town to a strange ex-pat birthday party, into the local markets and out deep into the countryside to see his agricultural project. We drank palm beer, swam with a hundred naked children in a leech filled rural river and met a South African fellow who is making millions on a plantation.

I love this land, More soon,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment